|Mechanical Forensics Engineering Services, LLC, 179 Cross Road, Rochester NH, 03867|
MFES: Technical Essays
What is Mechanical Forensics? Everyone remembers Dr. R. Quincy, the medical forensics guy on TV. Well, mechanical forensics is similar to what he did in that both involve examining the physical evidence after the fact to determine what happened during an incident. But instead of Quincy's corpses, I work with machines such as cars, motorcycles, trucks, and small machinery and equipment. This page has links to essays in this site whose topics relate somehow to MFES's niche in the engineering consultant / accident reconstruction community.
- TPMS & Tire Fires: A cautionary tale of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems gone bad (added 09APR2012)
- Cammed-over heavy truck s-cam brakes in a truck I inspected once. (Added 11SEP2009)
- An errata sheet I prepared for John H. Bickford's 2007 text on Introduction to the Design and Behavior of Bolted Joints, 4th Ed. This pdf contains all my flagged items, including a few real issues, numerous figure-number-reference problems, and some spelling typos.
- An article on using Monte Carlo Analysis for Accident Reconstruction.(Added 11DEC2007)
- Review of Recent Skid-Testing Results The old NUTI table is a little dated. This article reviews more recent data wrt skid testing. (Added 12FEB2007)
- Conservation of Linear Momentum A paper presented at the 2005 Penn. State Police Conference, 500Kb, pdf format (Added 27MAR2006)
- VIN information What all those characters in the VIN mean (Added 03JAN2003, Updadet 28JUL2010)
- Sudden Rearward Acceleration of some ATVs (Added 24JUL2002)
- How hot is it under a skidding tire? (Added 21NOV2001)
- The Braking of Motorcycles is not as clear-cut as passenger car braking. This page has results of some rear-wheel skids, and shows decelerations for various braking scenarios. (Added 09NOV2000, updated 12DEC2007)
- Avoidance Maneuver Lateral Accelerations (Added 10-FEB-2001)
- Passenger vehicle acceleration is not a constant, and isn't even a very smooth function! (Edited 01-Feb-2001)
- A review of the "sudden acceleration" problem in passenger vehicles. (Added 26MAY2000, updated 06JULY2010)
- Boiled Brake Fluid and Total Temporary Loss of Brakes An unusual phenomenon indeed.
- A list of the the numerous errors I found in the first 100 pages of "Brake Design and Safety," by Rudolf Limpert, and the saga that followed.
- A metallurgical critique of Northwestern's often cited paper on The examination of lamps for ON or OFF.
- Using The Triangulation Method to Map a Scene An alternative to the Cartesian (X-Y, or North-South) method. Note that this page includes nearly 200Kb of scanned images. Please keep this in mind during the loading process. Thanks. (Added 10/98)
- The relationship between a driver's abilities and their accident involvement has been a source of debate for some time now. Some research MFES is helping sponsor may help resolve the matter. (added 17FEB99)
- On the lighter side: a list of other organizations that go by MFES (updated 31DEC2002)
Mechanical Forensics Engineering Services, LLC.
This page created on 09-APR-2012